The Castro/Upper Market Community Benefit District released a survey showing four different design ideas for the new prospective decorative rainbow crosswalks to come to the Castro District. Earlier this month the Castro/Upper Market CBD voted to fund the $206,000 bid to pay for the decorative crosswalks, as well as programmable LED down-wash lighting on 24 streetlight poles and 20 cement stamped facts about the historic Castro District. This project is part of the Castro Streetscape Improvement Project which will begin construction end of February / beginning of March.
And now...to vote!
This is where you come in, Castro District. The Castro/Upper Market CBD is asking for you to vote for your favorite design and preferred location for the decorative crosswalks.
- Option A shows parallel rainbow stripes inspired by modern art (additional layout options for Option A shown above).
- Option B is inspired by the Castro Theatre foyer paving.
- Option C is inspired by rainbow bandanas.
- Option D is an abstract pattern inspired by the overhead catenary Muni wires.
- Layout 1: Decorative crosswalks across Castro Street at the 18th Street and 19th Street intersections.
- Layout 2: Decorative crosswalks on all four crossings at the Castro and 18th intersection.
The Castro CBD can fund four decorative crosswalk segments. Two potential layouts are shown above.
Take the survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CastroCrosswalkSurvey
The survey will close on March 5, 2014 and the results of the survey will be posted on Castrostreet.org by March 10, 2014.
Which option do you like?
[Photos: vancitybuzz.com, Castro CBD]