Books Inc. is an independently owned and operated bookseller with 11 locations in California. The Books Inc. in the Castro (on 16thand Market) is the Castro District’s only full-service general interest bookstore — and is theplace for your literary needs. From Mainstream to Masochism, Achebe to Zzyzzyva, you’ll get everything you need and everything you didn’t know you wanted at Books, Inc.
Books Inc.’s origin dates back to the Gold Rush Days of 1851. A man named Anton Roman struck it rich in Shasta City, California and set himself up in business selling books. That small bookstore was moved, bought, sold, burned, rebuilt, renamed and became Books Inc., as we know it today, in 1946.
Books, Inc. not only carries all the great books you want to read, but they have events, book signings, book clubs and classes. If you’re free the second Wednesday of every month, check out the SF LGBT Book Club!
Join this lively group for informative discussions about LGBT-themed novels and non-fiction. Book selections cover everything from new releases to classics; mainstream to offbeat. Their site says, "come and explore the world of literature with like-minded folks who don't mind getting their hands a little dirty. The Center/Books Inc. Book Group is free and open to everyone. We encourage inclusiveness and promote diversity." For more information, visit: www.booksinc.net/localinterest/268715
Because Books, Inc. is an independently owned business, they are very passionate about the movement of buying indie and local. When you shop at an independently owned business, the entire Castro community benefits:
- Spend $100 at a local and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
- Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
- More of your taxes are reinvested in your community--where they belong.
- Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.
- Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
- Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
- More independents mean more choices, more diversity, and a truly unique community.
Learn more about indie booksellers at: http://www.indiebound.org
(between Sanchez St & 16th St)
San Francisco, CA 94114
Learn more: http://booksinc.net/SFCastro